Sunday, March 27, 2011

Trying and Loving Pilates

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have made it a personal goal to try a new form of exercise every month. I do this because I think it's very important to change up your workout routine as often as possible to keep from getting bored. This month I tried Pilates and LOVED it. I actually think enjoying it as much as I did might make trying new things more of a challenge because I won't want to do anything else.

To quote Wikipedia on what exactly Pilates is, the method, "uses the mind to control the muscles, and seeks to increase the strength, flexibility and control of the body." Some Pilates is done on a mat using various "props" such as a block or elastic bands, and other forms of Pilates are done using equipment. I have only tried mat Pilates to date and really enjoyed it - it's all about using your own resistance to tone your body.

As someone who does not like weight training, Pilates is a great solution for really tightening vs. constantly doing cardio. I have NEVER been so sore as the morning after my first Pilates class. As the saying goes, pain is gain, so I have continued to do some of the Pilates moves at the gym on my own, and I continue to feel the same results. If you ask me, that's how you know you got a good workout - when it hurts afterward. Hurts so good.

To get started on my Pilates journey I bought a package deal (via LivingSocial) for Gramercy Pilates Fitness (GPF) and have two classes remaining. Once I finish that up I will purchase their beginners package, which is 4 classes for $99. As you can see, it is quite expensive, so I plan to switch off between classes at this facility and perhaps Sixth Street Pilates, which is more affordable and much closer to my apartment.

Side note about GPF, the great thing about this facility (and why I don't mind spending the money) is that the classes are extremely small - I'm talking 3 to 5 people. So even though it's not a private session, it is intimate and you do get a lot of focus from the instructor. If you decide to try this place do a class with Megan - she was awesome. Another great thing about this Pilates studio is how nice it is. The equipment is all brand new and the space is huge.

Anyway, I highly recommend that you try Pilates if you're looking for a new and challenging form of exercise. It makes me really feel results and feel like I am doing to change my body and my fitness for the better.


No comments:

Post a Comment