Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hello, Austin! As in Texas.

Over the past few weeks my dedication to my job has had me silent here, so for that I apologize. It was for good reason, though.

You may have discovered by now that I work at Mr Youth, a social marketing agency that breaks the marketing mold by bridging the gap between brands and consumers via social, experiential and WOM marketing. This weekend many of us “Youthers,” as we call ourselves, headed down to Austin, Texas for the ultimate interactive conference: South by Southwest Interactive (SXSWi).

In addition to producing Mr Youth’s S-List party, celebrating the launch of Crowdtap and attending several interesting panels, I got to enjoy a lot of good eats while in the Lone Star State. Thus, I bring to you my very first “Off the Grid” blog – a recap of all the deliciousness I experienced while in Austin, TX.
Overall the food scene in Austin is very much a melting pot. I thought I would be eating BBQ and Mexican for every meal, but not the case. I honestly did not have one bad meal during my visit. Sadly, though, I didn’t get a chance to visit all the staples, such as Trudy’s (Mexican) and Salt Lick (BBQ). But there’s always next time. I definitely plan to go back for a non-work visit, as Austin is a truly amazing town. Here is what I did get to enjoy:
Every bar in Texas: Shiner Bach
This beer represents exactly what a beer should taste like. Not too light, not too heavy, crisp to perfection. And it may just be me, but I think it stays colder longer than most beers. Supposedly there is a darker version that I didn’t get to try, but I’m not sure why I would. This Texas beer is Texas amazingness. In a bottle.

The Driskill: Truffled Sliders

Everyone who gave me recommendations on where to go in Austin told me to go here. They supposedly make a delicious cocktail (I didn’t have one since my wake-up call was super early the next morning) and serve delicious baked goods, but I opted for the truffled sliders. And I’m glad I did. Given that I have been on a health kick lately I have been avoiding burgers like the plague, but after eating this dish it may be tough to continue to do so. The buns were great, the beef was delicious and I’m not even going to get started on the truffle oil (cue slider craving now…ugh).

Maiko: Cancun Roll and Texas Monster Roll
I know what you’re thinking. I went all the way to Austin, TX to eat sushi? Well not necessarily, but it was convenient when on a tight schedule, and it turned out to be a great find. I am determined to find a sushi spot in NYC that will serve me shrimp tempura rolls topped by either waygu beef or ahi tuna, spicy mayo and jalapenos. You’ll notice in the picture that the rolls don’t exactly look complete. That’s because I was SO excited to eat the sushi artwork on my plate that I forgot to take a picture. Thanks to @CourtneyMarieC for reminding me.

219 West – Golden Fried Chicken Fingers

This is the venue where our S-List party was held. I ate a very quick lunch here while getting everything set up and am still thinking about the chicken fingers. When I was done eating and found out that the chicken is marinated in pickle juice before being fried in peanut oil it made sense why I liked them so much. Same preparation as Chick-fil-a.

Eddy V’s – Lobster Stuffed Avocado, Shrimp and Lobster Bisque, Bacon Wrapped Scallops, Truffled Mac and Cheese, Potato Guyere Fritters, Sauteed Spinach in Garlic, Bananas Foster for dessert
 
As you may be able to tell from my menu here, this was my overly indulgent meal of the trip. I’ll try to make it brief. The lobster stuffed avocado was above and beyond expectations, served with garlic bread croutons and a very healthy serving of lobster. The shrimp and lobster bisque – I mean, I was practically licking the bowl. Bacon wrapped scallops never need an explanation – they’re one of my favorites and were delicious here, served over a tomato basil cream sauce. Truffled Mac and Cheese? Duh. Potato Guyere Fritters? Double duh – when are fried potatoes and cheese not good? The Spinach was good, but I was too busy devouring carbs to pay it any attention. And the bananas foster was inappropriately good. I would go back to Austin just for another serving of that dessert. It tasted like Schiller’s Sticky Toffey Pudding.

Cafe Crepe: The Italian, stuffed with tomato, mozzarella and prochuitto, and I added chicken
This spot was just what I needed it to be – central, quick, delicious and cheap. They serve an assortment of crepes ranging from breakfast to lunch/dinner to dessert. The crepe craze is something that has become bigger and bigger recently, but never did I think I would be served a crepe by an authentic French man in Austin, TX. But I was, and it was excellent.

Casa Del Fuego Taco Truck: Chicken Flour Tortilla Tacos

This was my last meal in Austin and I really did save the best for last. It couldn’t have been any more Texas – sitting on a picnic table on the side of the road eating tacos made on a truck. Even the flour tortilla was delicious. And the condiment bar was just amazing – I don’t know what those secret red and green sauces are, but if I had everyday access to them I wouldn’t hate it.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a great time in Austin!! Those foodie places looked delish, I'll have to visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete